Thursday, July 2, 2015

A New Soap Mold

I received in June a new silicone soap mold with a beautiful rose design.
This mold is about the same size as a 24 inch drawer organizer and holds just slightly less , so when I melted 2lbs of soap to make what's pictured here I had a little left over. This soap is fragranced with English Rose fragrance.

 
 
Here's another one I made in a solid colour and I had the good sense to weigh it before it was cut. The soap is 1 pound 9 ounces (25 ounces total) so I think for melt & pour 1.5 lbs would fill it almost to the top. For the second soap I was going for a peachy colour and I scented it with Rose Geranium essential oil and Fuzzy Peach fragrance oil.
 
Here's the mold,  the sides are nice and thick but I had to shore them up by placing books on either side of the mold. The mold sagged out ever so slightly after I poured the soap in and I was kind of disappointed. I contacted the maker of the mold and was told they had shipped a thin piece of plastic that fit inside the top of the mold after it was filled. This "lid" keeps the mold nice and square. I don't remember seeing it and if it was really thin I may have pitched it in to the recycling with the bubble wrap:( I'm going to see if I can get another one, or maybe make one.
 
I have another mold to try out that comes with dividers and is only suitable for cold process soap. I'll get on that soon I hope! Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment