Thursday, May 7, 2015

Magnesium Lotion from Devotional Family

 I have been wanting to make magnesium lotion for a few months now. I have heard of all the  benefits of magnesium for sleep, stress, pain and all sorts of other things and apparently lotion is more effective than supplements. This recipe from Devotional Family looked good because I had all of the ingredients except for the magnesium flakes. After searching our town for them (with no luck) , I used the Amazon link they had on their site and ordered the  flakes from the US. Pictured above are the flakes, they look like soy wax flakes but they are harder, like a salt. I had to made  a magnesium solution boiling 1/2 cup of water and them stirring in one cup of the flakes.
The next step was to melt the Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and Beeswax and then slowly pour in the magnesium solution while stick blending. I also added the optional borax and some Geranium essential oil, my Shea Butter is  organic and has an odor so I used a nice strong essential oil. I mixed it all on the pot that the oils were melted in. As you can see I set the pot in a bowl of ice water to help it cool faster.

I was able to pretty much pour the lotion into these three jars, there a two 4 oz cosmetic jars and 1/2 pint mason jar. I didn't put them in the fridge and they've firmed up nicely. I've made lots of butters and massage bars but this was my first time making an actual lotion. I'll see how beneficial it is, I've got a couple of people I'm giving some too, and then I can always make more. The magnesium flakes were about $27.00 Canadian and I think there is enough for 5 or 6 batches and they have an endorsement on the back from Dr. Norm Shealy, he's a big proponent of using magnesium in lotion form. This took maybe 1/2 hour from start to finish, once I had assembled the ingredients, that's my kind of project. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. hi Sari,you can get Magnesium Flakes at healthyway...in town...i know this does not help you now, but it is good to have the knowledge...HI...Abby

    ReplyDelete